Hey loves. I’ve been meaning to do this post for a while now, and what better day than Valentine’s Day! Self-love is such an important concept, yet it is so easily forgotten. It’s so easy to be caught up in work, running errands, taking care of your family, and helping others so much that our very own needs and desires get thrown out the front door. As I get older, I’ve realised how taking care of myself and doing what makes me happy helps me to be less stressed, makes me more productive, and overall, feel better.
If you’re wondering “How can I spend more time on me?”, here are a list of five different ways to practise self-love:
1. Pamper yourself. There’s nothing more luxurious than a relaxing candle-lit bubble bath with soft music or even a fun facial and mani/pedi one evening.
2. Stop comparing yourself to others. As humans this is completely natural, but in the end, it does us no good but slow us down and rob us of the life we’re trying to create for ourselves. Learn to be okay with your imperfections. Understand that you are completely different from someone else and that is how it is supposed to be.
3. Treat yourself. Yes, buy that book you’ve been wanting to read, and buy that handbag you’ve had your eyes on for ever so long. I always make it a priority that with every paycheck I receive, I get myself something, no matter how small. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a splurge – I’ve been content with getting a bag of chocolate chips from the supermarket.
4. Step away from social media. We are so consumed by our cellphones and computers, and for many like me, our pastime often involves scrolling through Instagram and responding to every single text message we receive. Instead, switch off the screen for a bit and read a new book or even go for a walk. It makes a world of difference.
5. Get enough rest. The importance of sleep is often overlooked, but it is so essential. I’m guilty of carrying over work into late nights and not going to bed early enough. Not getting the right amount of sleep can not only make you feel sluggish when you rise in the mornings, but it can have detrimental effects on your health. Opt for at least 7-8 hours each night to help your body perform at its full potential.
Now on to the outfit. Since it’s Valentine’s Day, I had to hop on the ‘wear red’ train, of course. I got this dress from Boohoo and I was really impressed with the quality. It’s a nice thick fabric with the right amount of stretch, and for only £10 (it’s still on sale!), this is a steal. I like keeping looks like this very classic, and so since the dress is in such a bold colour, I grabbed these black sandals I have from Forever 21, a black clutch, red diamond drop earrings, and a very chic bracelet I purchased at SheIn about 2 years ago. I finished off with a red lip, and voila! A very classy look for a Valentine’s Day dinner.
How are you spending Valentine’s Day? What are your thoughts on self-love?